Everything You Need to Know About Cosmetic Dentistry
December 16th, 2022 by Catherine Marqueses
Cosmetic dentistry is a cosmetic procedure that focuses on improving the aesthetics and appearance of your smile. This includes changing the color and size of your teeth, realigning them, and restoring fractured edges.
A cosmetic dentist works with you during this process to develop a cosmetic dentistry procedure that best suits your teeth.
Here is a detailed guide to the different procedures, benefits, costs, and aftercare treatment.
Popular Cosmetic Dental Procedures
The main purpose of cosmetic dentistry is to create a symmetrical, balanced, and attractive smile. Popular cosmetic dentistry procedures include:
It is a quick, non-invasive, cost-effective solution to improve your smile. The technique involves removing debris and stains from your teeth to reverse discoloration. The procedure is less strenuous and can be completed in less than an hour.
Teeth whitening process:
- A professional Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist examines your teeth and gums to ensure you qualify for the procedure.
- Secondly, the cosmetic dentist cleans your teeth before beginning the tooth whitening process.
- The cosmetic dentist coats your gums and tissues with a gel to protect them.
- The cosmetic dentist applies a whitening agent at the front of your teeth. He then places a laser light in front of your mouth.
- After 15 minutes, the cosmetic dentist switches the laser light, and you’re good to go.
A dental implant is a replacement for a missing tooth’s root. Dental implants are extremely stable and do not affect the surrounding teeth. Cosmetic dentists use zirconium or titanium as their dental implant, then cover it with a crown to create the appearance of a real tooth.
You need dental implants if you have the following:
- Missing teeth: If you have tooth decay or a broken tooth that needs to be extracted, you can replace it with a dental implant to restore your attractive smile.
- Several gaps: While one gap may be acceptable, having several gaps on your teeth may impair your smile and complicate your ability to chew. This may have an impact on your self-esteem and confidence. Dental implants restore your smile.
Invisalign® are clear aligners used as teeth straighteners. A cosmetic dentist molds the clear aligners to fit your teeth perfectly. Invisalign® procedures are becoming a popular alternative to traditional metal braces since they are invisible, easy to clean, and you only require a few sessions with a Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist.
An Invisalign® procedure can benefit you if you have the following:
- Gapped teeth: Gapped teeth make them unevenly spaced out. Gaps between teeth trap food particles, contributing to poor dental health and affecting the beauty of your smile.
- Overbite: This is a condition in which your upper teeth overlap the lower ones. An overbite causes gum and tooth damage and pain.
- Underbite: This is a condition in which the lower teeth protrude in front of the upper teeth due to an underdeveloped lower or overdeveloped upper jaw.
- Overcrowding: This condition occurs when your teeth are not properly aligned. Generally, they do not appear to fit well.
Cosmetic Dental Procedures Aftercare Tips
After getting your preferred cosmetic dentistry procedure, you need to maintain your teeth. This fastens the recovery process and ensures the procedure lasts. Here are five main aftercare tips:
- Brush your teeth regularly.
- Reduce your intake of dyed drinks
- Avoid drinking extremely hot and cold beverages
- Don’t grind your teeth
- Avoid consuming hard foods
- Visit your cosmetic dentist regularly
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the highest risk of cosmetic dentistry surgery?
Dentistry procedures, like any other dental therapy, carry risks. Invisalign® procedures, for example, might cause bone loss or relapse if you attempt to speed up the treatment by replacing the aligners too soon.
You will experience dental sensitivity after whitening, especially while eating or drinking hot or cold beverages for a few days. Expect gingival discomfort from the first day of treatment as well.
Dental implants pose the biggest dangers, including gum infection and damage to the surrounding teeth or jaw. You may develop sinus difficulties if the implant is not placed correctly in the upper jaw. Also, your body may reject the implant.
How much do the different cosmetic dental procedures cost?
Factors such as the patient’s needs and the level of correction determine each dental procedure’s cost. Booking a consultation with a Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist will help determine the exact cost of your required procedure.
However, the Consumer Guide to Dentistry provides a price range for how much each procedure should cost per tooth.
What is the best procedure for new teeth?
If you need new teeth, dental implants are the finest option. They look and feel like natural teeth, such that you wouldn’t notice if it’s an implant. You can get a dental implant done on one or several teeth.